Thursday, January 28, 2010

Same old, Same old, Same old

I am an optimist by nature. I look forward to each day; forward to living another day in America; forward to serving the one I worship; forward to enjoy the precious moments God has allowed us to have.
The president's speech last night was met with the usual comments. One network thought it was awesome! Another thought it was a joke with no substance. Cnn announced a supporting poll yet the poll was made up of 38% democrats and 25% republicans. The rest were chosen by random. I will bet you could figure out the results of that all by yourself. The decisions that come next are the true test of any political speech.
Let me relate all of this with an Arkansas story that I know of because it happened to me.
Huckabee was Governor and was trying to fix our car tag situation which was archaic. I spoke directly to one of our state Representatives and asked him the question, "Why is there such opposition to fix a problem when everyone agrees something must be done?" I was young and naive in those days.
He said without hesitation, that no one wanted a republican governor to get credit for taking care of this problem. They would rather wait until a different governor was in office so they could take credit.
I am sure this attitude exists on both sides. And that is where one great problem for this country continues to be played out in front of us.
I long for the time when we can have healthy debate and then make a decision for the good of the country instead of the good of a political party. Americans are tired of political games. I believe that they want real solutions for real problems. I learned a long time ago that you can get a lot done if you do not care who gets the credit.
The combative attitude then bleeds over into other aspects of our life. In a church, opposition can come up just because they are always opposed to anything. I even had a man in a former church say he always voted against everything because decisions should never be unanimous.
I want to move on from the same old way of doing things. It would surely be nice to elect Americans to the offices that represent us. I am not talking about their birth location, but their heart location.
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment