Monday, August 10, 2009

The Immorality of the new American Dream

I must admit that I liked the old American Dream. You remember it don't you? You know the old dream was based on the Judeo-Christian work ethic. We were taught and believed that if you were educated and worked hard, then success would be your reward. There was no public challenge to a belief in God---in other words, it was fine to be a believer! Your reward would be a good life, white picket fence around your house, great dog, all that stuff.
But something changed.
Our leaders found out several years ago that all the money setting in the bank for social security and other things, could be spent and paid back with the current contributions by the taxpayers. We began an idea spending today using tomorrow's money.
Make it personal: My grandchildren, including the one to be born in February of 2010, will pay for my benefits I enjoy today. A child not yet born is liable for my debt. That is just wrong. That is immoral.
It is immoral because it is all based on greed. It was greed that drove many of our leaders to provide services to get votes for the next election. It was greed that people felt they were entitled to things they feel they deserve for just being born.
I want to believe that the sun is not setting on America and the old American dream. But a nation that puts God in the back seat and has an attitude of "play now" pay later will reap what it has sown.
Now where did I put my credit card....
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment